Small but Significant Heritage Items

Largely unnoticed and unremarked, although in plain sight, there are many small reminders of an older Saltash in and around the town. (Please note that the 800 by 600 pixels photographs linked to from this page will by default open in this window or tab, with no site navigation menu; you will have to use your browser's 'back' function to return here.)

old Turnpike boundary stone

Prior to 1833, when a new road from the ferry landing to Burraton crossroads was constructed, Culver Road was part of the Saltash Turnpike. One of the old Turnpike boundary stones, marked 'SB' for 'Saltash Borough', still stands at the junction of Coombe Road with Culver Road. – Location

the green dragon

The green dragon above the main entrance to the Co-op store in Fore Street is a copy of the sign from the Green Dragon Hotel, the ancient coaching inn which stood on that site until it was demolished in 1935. – Location

old Mansion House gateway

The late 18th century Mansion House was at various times a private home, a girls' school, and finally the Working Men's Club. The building was demolished in the 1980s to make way for the A38 Saltash bypass, but part of the garden wall and its granite gateway still survive. – Location

Port View boundary marker

In the mid-1800s Port View Estate, the first major build outside the mediaeval town boundaries, was laid out as a gated community of large villas each set in its own extensive grounds. One of the original boundary markers for the estate can still be seen on the northern side of Higher Port View, about half-way along. – Location

VR postbox 1
VR postbox 2

These two Victorian post boxes are still in use after more than a hundred years. One is at Longlands, and the other at South Pill. – Location 1Location 2

face in the wall

In the early 20th century the Rustic Tea Gardens and the Slade Tea Gardens flourished near Sand Quay. Both are now long gone, but this stone face built into the wall on the far side of the road from Sand Quay seems to be a remnant retrieved from the gardens. (Just above head height, it is easy to miss, even when not obscured by overhanging ivy.) – Location

Brunel Green steps

The grassed area at Brunel Green was originally a salt water swimming pool, filled by the Tamar at high tide. However, after a boat collided with its wall, damaging it severely, the pool fell into disuse. At the north-west corner of the Green, now merging into the wall of the road above, there still remains a set of the original steps to the pool. – Location

Commemorative plaques are nothing new – they've been going up around Saltash for over 300 years:

^ to top ^

page updated 2016-06-07

Share this page: Mail.Delicious.Digg.FaceBook.Google+.Reddit.Stumbleupon.Tumblr.Twitter